Three teenage gunmen on Monday (July 23rd) stormed the governor's headquarters in Arbil, opening fire and killing one employee before being shot dead, AFP reported.
Several members of the security forces were also wounded as Kurdish security forces exchanged fire with the attackers, officials said.
"An employee was killed in the assault on the provincial headquarters," Arbil governor Nawzad Hadi told a news conference.
The Kurdish region's deputy police chief Farhad Mohammed said the three gunmen had been "neutralised" after a four-hour exchange of fire with Kurdish security forces.
The anti-terrorism squad in the Kurdish region said in a statement that two of the gunmen were aged 16 and the third was 18, all of them from Arbil.
Deputy governor Taher Abdullah had earlier said that Kurdish security forces known as the Asayish had set up a security cordon and were searching the building for the assailants.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack.