Reports that US blocked statement condemning Turkey at UN 'false'

The US mission to the UN has denied reports that the US had blocked a UN Security Council consensus statement on Turkey in closed consultations last week.

Any suggestion that the US blocked the consensus statement "is utterly false", the mission said on its official Twitter account Thursday (October 10th).

The 15-member Security Council met at the request of the five European nations: Britain, France, Germany, Belgium and Poland. In a joint statement, the European states called on Turkey to stop its military action.

Turkey on October 9th launched an offensive targeting Kurdish forces in northern Syria, whom it brands "terrorists" linked to Kurdish insurgents in Turkey, AFP reported.

The operation follows Washington's announcement that US forces would withdraw from the border areas between Turkey and Syria.

"As President Trump has made abundantly clear, the US has not endorsed Turkey’s decision to mount a military incursion in north-east Syria," the US mission to the UN said.

Turkey is now responsible, it said, and failure to play by the rules, protect vulnerable populations and guarantee that ISIS does not reconstitute "will have consequences".

Do you like this article?
0
0 COMMENT(S)
COMMENT POLICY * DENOTES REQUIRED FIELD 1500 CHARACTERS REMAINING (1500 MAX)