At least 50 people including Iranians were killed Thursday (September 14th) in twin gun and car bomb attacks near the city of Nasiriyah in southern Iraq, local officials said.
The "Islamic State of Iraq and Syria" (ISIS) claimed responsibility for the attacks in a statement released by its propaganda arm Amaq.
"The toll has now reached 50 dead and 87 wounded," Abdel Hussein al-Jabri, deputy health chief for the province of Dhi Qar of which Nasiriyah is the capital, told AFP.
He warned that the death toll could rise as many of the wounded were in serious condition.
The first attack struck close to a restaurant while shortly afterwards a car bomb targeted a security checkpoint in the same area, officials said.
Security sources said the attackers were disguised as members of the Popular Mobilisation Forces (PMF).
The area targeted is used by Shia pilgrims and visitors from neighbouring Iran headed for the holy cities of Najaf and Karbala further north, although Dhi Qar has previously been spared the worst of the violence.