25,000 evacuated from Syria's Aleppo: ICRC

At least 25,000 people have left the eastern districts of Syria's Aleppo since evacuations began last week, the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) said Tuesday (December 20th).

The evacuees included 7-year-old Bana al-Abed, whose Twitter account had offered a tragic account of Syria's war, as well as 47 children who had been trapped in an orphanage.

"Thousands" more are still waiting to be bused out, ICRC spokeswoman Ingy Sedky told AFP.

The ICRC has been overseeing the complex evacuation deal for Aleppo, which was suspended until early Monday over regime demands for the simultaneous evacuation of two villages in north-west Syria under opposition siege.

Sedky confirmed that 750 people had thus far been bused out of the villages of Fuaa and Kafraya, in Syria's Idlib province, as part of the deal.

Meanwhile, the Syrian regime on Tuesday urged the last remaining opposition fighters and civilians to leave eastern Aleppo as it prepares to take full control of the city.

On Monday, the UN voted to deploy observers to Aleppo and said it planned to hold new peace talks in Geneva in February.

"It is the intention of the UN to convene those negotiations in Geneva on February 8th," UN envoy Staffan de Mistura said after the Security Council unanimously adopted a resolution to monitor evacuations from Aleppo.

Arab foreign ministers on Monday welcomed the UN Security Council resolution to quickly deploy UN observers to Aleppo, the Arab League said in a statement.

Do you like this article?

0 Comment(s)
Comment Policy * Denotes Required Field 1500 / 1500