Anbar resumes work on projects paused during war with ISIS
By Khalid al-Taie
Anbar province's local government has resumed work on a large number of service projects that were paused as a result of the war against the "Islamic State of Iraq and Syria" (ISIS).
"Reconstruction and investment efforts are seeing a revival about a year and a half after ISIS fighters were ousted from the province," Anbar's investment commission head Mahdi Saleh al-Nouman told Diyaruna on Friday (June 28th).
The stable security environment has been a key factor behind the return of many national and foreign companies to the province and the resumption of work on projects that have been stalled since 2014, he said.
The delegations of many investment companies have started visiting the province to identify investment opportunities and sign agreements and contracts with the local government, he added.
Work has resumed this week on a number of projects, said al-Nouman, most notably the Ramadi Olympic Stadium, "which suffered significant damage during the war after 60% of the work on it had previously been completed".
Construction also has resumed at the al-Baghdadi massive water project in Heet and the Anbar International Hotel in Ramadi, he said.
Additionally, work is underway on five residential complexes in the province, most notably the Omar al-Rawi complex in Ramadi, where 500 housing units have been completed and handed over to eligible families, he said.
Another 600 units at the complex are currently under construction, al-Nouman added.
Three investment projects to build specialised hospitals in the province with a capacity of 50 beds are underway, and it is hoped that two will be completed next year, he said.
Anbar intends to host its 5th investment conference in October to attract companies and present them with investment opportunities, al-Nouman said.
"Our province enjoys stability and boasts large natural resources and a unique geographic location," he said, which will enable it to achieve economic prosperity.