The UN said Tuesday (February 7th) it brought aid to just 40,000 Syrians last month despite requesting access to more than 900,000 people, making January the worst month for humanitarian deliveries in nearly a year, AFP reported.
Only one of 21 humanitarian convoys proposed by the UN, International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) and Syrian Arab Red Crescent was approved, said Yara Sharif, spokeswoman for the UN's Syria envoy Staffan de Mistura.
"January marked the worst month since March 2016" when the UN-backed humanitarian taskforce for Syria was launched, Sharif said, adding that de Mistura is "alarmed at the failed humanitarian access" last month.
Syrian regime and opposition fighters have repeatedly blocked convoys to areas under their control.
The UN seeks to reach 4.72 million Syrians in hard-to-reach areas, including 600,000 besieged by the regime, armed opposition groups or the "Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant" (ISIL).